Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Total Wine Bar

Total Wine Bar
74 5th Avenue - Map
Corner of St. Mark's Place
Brooklyn, NY
(718) 783-5166
Wine Bar

To salvage what was left from an almost mediocre dinner at Al Di Lá, my friend and I decided to go to Total Wine Bar. Having patronized this establishment only once before, I was all too eager to go, fondly remembering our last excursion to this hidden Park Slope gem.

By no means large, this modest and homey wine bar is particularly inviting. As soon as you walk in, you see a bar situated at the far end of the room, centered against the wall, with a back, swinging door into their kitchen. Along the right-side wall is a long couch that comes to an "L" shape against the front window, with cube tables for patrons to sit at. Each cubed table is decorated with a lit votive candle, and the room is kept at an intimate level of brightness.

My friend an I immediately made our way to sit at the bar, and asked for their red-wine list. Their selection, while not long, was nicely varied, and I found it hard to make a decision. I decided to first have a glass of their South African Red, heralding a smoky and intense description, I felt that to compensate for the crap I drank at Al Di Lá, I needed something intense. I was not disappointed. As soon as I took a whiff of the musky smokiness, I was immediately transported to my visit in Stellenbosch, South Africa's prominent wine country. I was not mistaken in my assessment, as the wine was indeed from Stellenbosch (well, it COULD have been from Paarl!). I was surprised to hear that it was a blend of 26% Pinotage and 74% Merlot. The Pinotage, being the minority percentage, did an excellent job of permeating throughout the wine, and the almost harshly intense smokiness really helped to buffet the floral and fruitiness of the locally grown Merlot grapes. I tried my friend's Organic Pinot Noir, a considerably lighter wine compared to what I was drinking, and I was overwhelmed by the distinct flavor of papaya! It was such a pleasant surprise, refreshing even! That I almost ordered a glass. Beth, the woman who was serving us the wine, suggested I try something else before I order that Organic Pinot Noir.

She poured me taste of the thin, red liquid, and allowed me to experience it. I immediately swished it around in the wine glass, and took a strong and deep breath in. My eyes widened and I was particularly amused at the strong aroma of Lychee! YES LYCHEE! I couldn't wait to get a taste! I took a moutful in, swished it around, and sucked in some air, and the Lychee flavor simply refused to be ignored. I swallowed, and then, an evervescent whisper of strawberry tickled my senses. Needless to say, I ordered a glass. This particlar wine was the Dom. Curot, Sancerre 2003 (a French Pinot Noir).

To accompany the cheese, I had ordered a slice of their Fourgerous, a french cow's milk cheese, essentially a Brie, with distinct grassy flavors, and served with a fern frond. It was creamy, rich in texture, yet light in taste, with an almost dry tannic quality that I would normally associate with wine. The rind wasn't overwhelmingly thick or coarse (which in my opinion is truly a mark of a good cheese), and I couldn't get enough of it.

I've found, that as the evening progressed, the Pinot I was drinking had settled, and evolved into a completely different wine. While the Lychee remained as a subtle undertone, the strawberry, and other distinguishable berry flavors grew in strength, and took over the flavor of the wine. I was not disappointed, and rather invited the evolution of the wine.

What also made this particular experience notable was the crowd. It was friendly, and local. The owner Adam (? I think that was his name...sorry...I was drinking), and Beth were SO friendly, and were striking up conversations with EVERYONE! I simply loved it! Am I going back? ABSOLUTELY! Would I recommend this to anyone? I think the answer is self-evident!

No comments: